Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day

I had a wonderful Mother's Day with my delightful children and extended family. My dear husband had to work but left me a beautiful (hand made) card. After church, we enjoyed a tasty lunch at my MIL's of loosemeat sandwiches, salads, chips, and later homemade ice cream. YUM!

I was contemplating my mom and all the sacrifices that she made so she could raise my sister and I and further thinking about the wonderful sacrifices that all mothers make for their children and families. I am enjoying this season in my life, so much. I know how fast it will go! My firstborn is graduating from High School. Although he will live at home next year and take classes nearby, things are changing in his life. He is becoming independent. So here are some thoughts:

1. Someday I will have peace and quiet in the bathroom......although for now, I usually have someone in there with me or at least one banging on the door.

2. Someday I will have no more diapers to change....I have been changing diapers since July 1992 when Colton was born. I think I had a small break between Alicia and Katie...maybe 6 months. Otherwise I have had a child in diapers for almost 18 years.

3. Someday I will not have to worry about wearing a nursing bra.....I have also been nursing a baby since 1992 except for that time between Alicia and Katie. Alicia weaned at 2 years of age and Katie was born when she was 3 1/2.

4. Someday I will be preparing food for just 2 people instead of 10!

5. Someday I will have time to read, write and do the projects that I have put on the backburner.


Let me say that I am not that excited about the "someday"....I hope I have grandchildren to fill my home with love and laughter. My friend commented to me the other day that it was a wonderful blessing to still have a baby after all the years of child raising and I am so thankful for Anna. She adds much to our lives.

On another note...here is a wonderful article from Large Family Mothering about the "so-called" Woman's Movement....check it out!

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy you had a terrific Mother's Day. I meant to call but got swept up in the events of the day. Love you, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Melissa! Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete